Thursday, May 27, 2010

Searching for an Agent

Trying to find an agent is one of the hardest things I’ve had to do. As some of you may know (because you know me personally) I started cruising the canal leading to publishing in 2007, which I had to stop because of health issues. Now 2010 seems to be the year I start getting things on track again. I’m sailing through that violent ocean of competition and harsh criticism; like before, I will not let the words of others put me down. In this industry, if you take everything personally, you’ll fail (it seems).

Just take it like a flyer on the street. You pick them up, but sometimes you never really look at them. They could be telling you what an awful person you are, but in the end, it’s just a flyer. Your work will be critiqued by these “flyers”. Just remember that they are just flyers. HOWEVER, (and this is the big “however”) if you notice that agents are pointing out the same thing or something similar, every time that you are rejected (besides the fact that your genre is just not what they represent) then you should take into consideration their overall idea of the reason they believe your work is not meant for them.

My first query is still in the process of polishing, and while I’m at it, I’m looking at more literary agencies, doing more research on the agent(s) that I plan to query. It is very nerve-wracking and what’s coming is even more stressful. What is it, you ask? The wait. Yes, the wait. Ladies and Gentlemen, waiting, the building suspense with every day that passes; I’m not looking forward to that part of publishing. But as frightening as it sounds, it is one of the most wonderful parts of this intense and long journey.

When you look back on it, after you get to publish, you will feel such a relief… I can’t wait until I’m at that point when I can look back at all this and say “man, I worked hard, and it was worth it.” I’m aware that all this work that I’m doing (researching agents, reading their blogs, looking for the titles and authors they represent and slowly painting a better image of them in my mind) is going to be rewarded more than I ever imagined. For now, I have to say adios. Good luck to you new authors on your journey and thank you my readers for following me.

I will continue to update this blog to keep you posted.

Thank you for following me in my journey.

Your writer,

James Fenix

No comments:

Post a Comment